I have created this busy, beachy, technique filled, double layout using the lovely UNCHARTED WATERS collection by Kaisercraft. This collection is gender neutral, making it perfect for all beach themed photos. I just love this collection with all the shells, beach creatures and boat related items! Since blue is my favourite colour, I love this collection for its colours too and because it is very suitable to co-ordinate in those mixed media effects. I thoroughly enjoyed incorporating oxide inks, background stamping, texture pasting, fussy-cutting, paper ripping and cheesecloth tucking techniques in this project!
To create this layout I followed the steps below:
- Create a background using 2 pieces of KAISERCARD IVORY PREMIUM CARDSTOCK cut down to 30.5 x 30.5 cm and randomly stamping the ship’s wheel from the CLEAR STAMPS – UNCHARTED WATERS COLLECTION in KAISERINK PAD – CHOCOLATE over the layout.
- Use an INKSSENTIALS CRAFT SHEET or baking paper for background inking techniques and a mix of blue Distress Oxide and RANGER DISTRESS INK PADS. Using the oxide inks first, take the darkest and smear it in a line on the craft sheet spray water on top of the ink. Take the ivory card stock and dip it in the watery ink, turn over and dry using a craft heat gun or hair dryer. Apply the rest of the ink and repeat drying. Excess ink can be removed using a wet cloth.
- Repeat with each colour, layer over the previous and adding the Distress Ink last
- Tape the two Ivory sheets with home-made background together to create a double sized layout. Cut two 6.5 cm strips of STREAK – UNCHARTED WATERS COLLECTION and adhere to the two short sides of the layout. Cut a 14 cm strip from the bottom of TIDE POOL – UNCHARTED WATERS COLLECTION slowly and gently rip this strip in half diagonally using your hands. Attach one piece to the top left and the other to the bottom right of the layout. Take the left over strip of TIDE POOL – UNCHARTED WATERS COLLECTION and also rip it diagonally and tuck each piece under the other corner pieces to create a layered effect.
- Take HOOK – UNCHARTED WATERS COLLECTION and hand rip different sized pieces. Layer these pieces under the wooden sections on the top and bottom of the layout.
- Fussy cut the two middle ropes from SEA SHORE – UNCHARTED WATERS COLLECTION, cut in half and foam tape next to each other over the two STREAK – UNCHARTED WATERS COLLECTION sections of the layout, ~0.5 cm apart. Take a sheet of CHEESECLOTH GAUZE and colour with KAISERMIST SPRAY INK – GOLD SHIMMER 50ML, allow to dry and then cut into strips to tuck under the ripped layers. Also use this coloured cheesecloth to matt the photos. I have used three 9.5 x 13.4 cm photos and tucked them under the ripped sections.
- Fussy cut the crabs and shells from OCEANIC – UNCHARTED WATERS COLLECTION and embellish layout. Embellish with CURIOS – UNCHARTED WATERS COLLECTION and stickers from the STICKER BOOK – UNCHARTED WATERS COLLECTION
- Transfer the pattern of BUBBLES 6X6 DESIGNER STENCIL onto the wooden sections of the layout using TEXTURE PASTE. Further embellish layout with more stickers from the STICKER BOOK – UNCHARTED WATERS COLLECTION and COLLECTABLES – UNCHARTED WATERS COLLECTION.
I hope you have enjoyed reading this post and full instructions to recreate this mixed media, double layout.
Xx Roxii xX