Something a little different from me this month, an advent calendar Christmas tree called Christmas Countdown with which I have used The Holly Jolly Kaisercraft Collection.
I began by tracing around the tree on Gleeful then cut just inside the line for a perfect fit.
Next I inked around the edges of the tree and a little way onto the sides with Cracked Pistachio, the edges of the paper with this and also a little Black Soot, and stuck it down with a Kaisercraft Glue Stick. This allows a little movement for adjusting and forms a strong bond.
The base was given the same treatment but I only used Black Soot around the edges. This piece I covered with Joyous paper including the cut off strip along the front edge as I wanted the words to show. I used a craft knife around the edge and to cut a cross in the apertures. These were then folded over, trimmed and glued into place before attaching the lower part of the base. Don’t forget to trim the slot for the tree too. I added squares of Cheery from the paper pad underneath too.
Next it was time to trim the tree so I cut 1″ strips from the Joyous paper, marked a guideline @ 1/4″ then cut to the line with shredding scissors. Normal scissors would work too though.
Once dusted with some Barn Door and shaped with a bone folder, these were added to give the effect of tinsel. A thin piece of decorative ribbon added along the top. With the small border they are quite flexible and can be easily bent.
Baubles from The Collectables were inked and placed with mounting tape plus some round messages from the paper pad. Ribbon bows were added to the tops and chunky glitter around the edges. At the top I used a Doily shape from The Collectables and a circular message from the paper pad also mounted on foam.
Random red pearls were dotted around.
Last but not least, the cubes. I had stuck these together earlier using tacky glue and allowed them to set hard. Papers from the paper pad were trimmed to 8cm square and adhered to each side using wet glue around the edge and the glue stick in the centre. All the edges were inked with Black Soot.
Once in place, I cut the squares and some individual numbers from Peppy for the calendar, working out that the cubes needed to be completed as below in order to cover 1-25 –
Cube 1 – 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
Cube 2 – 0, 1, 2, 7, 8, 6 (9).
These were then added to the faces of the cubes with 6x6cm mounts or Stampin’ Up Scalloped punch-outs. A liberal coat of Matte Medium sealed all the edges.
I hope you have enjoyed this little project and will have a go a making one – there is still plenty of time to do so – have fun.
~ Linda ~