Hi, It’s Pam here with something a little different for you.
The ‘Kaleidoscope’ collection from Kaisercrafts is one of my favourites. It’s so versatile. One side has a vintage, shabby chic feel and the other a modern mixed media feel. It was the mixed media side of the paper that inspired me to create this ‘she art’ girl.This was so easy to make, as most of the ‘mixed media’ part has already been done for you!
So, in this picture heavy post I’ll show you what I did.
The first thing I did was to gesso some book paper and set it aside to dry. The gesso dulls down the print, and provides a key for the next layers of paint, but it’s not essentail to use it.
Next I adhered a piece of Mosaic paper to a substrate of cardboard for the background. I fussy cut the flower/leaf design, taking care to preserve the words, and adhered it to the background. I cut out the words and set them aside to use later. I then adhered a ‘grassy hill’ cut from Blank Canvas paper.
Next I did some stamping. I used stamps from the ‘Kaleidoscope‘ collection. I randomly stamped the text stamp in black, and then stamped three butterflies with white paint.
I then took a plastic grid-I think this is an embroidery mesh- and sprayed some ink spray through the mesh for some added interest.
Here you can see a closeup of the stencilled squares-and also where I inverted the grid onto the paper and ‘stamped’ the ink left on the stencil onto the background.
I put the background aside and got to work on painting my girl. I sketched a face and body and painted these, and also painted some skin coloured strips to use as legs later.
I painted a piece of paper from the 6×6 paper pad, to use as the dress.
I cut out my girl and placed her face down onto the orange painted paper to trace her body shape to make the dress.
Then it was a matter of assembling the pieces and gluing them to the background. I added some lace trim to the dress. I stamped a butterfly onto cardstock, cut it in half, then used these to give the girl some wings. Now you might notice that my girl suddenly has a different head. Well, on my original I added some facial features, but didn’t like them. So I just cut her head off, and glued on a new one. (Sometimes when I look in the mirror I wish that trick would work with me!!)
As you can see the work is nearly finished but it all looks a bit flat and dull. It’s the finishing bits that really make this type of project work.
I painted a sun, added a diecut butterfly and the cut out the words from the patterned paper.
So here’s the trick to get your pieces to pop.
Use a soft lead pencil, or watercolour pencils to trace and lightly colour around all your elements to add a shadow effect. Then use a fine black pen to trace lines around the words and scribble tiny squiggles around the other elements.
This was a fun project to do and I’d love you to try something similar and leave a link in the comments.