Good morning all,
Today I am bringing you a beyond the page room plaque made using the Factory 42 collection and some mixed media techniques. Firstly though I would like to show you how I made the cogs on my plaque look like they are ‘rusty’. It’s a very simple tutorial but the theme runs through my three design team projects for September so I do hope you will have a go at creating these yourselves.. you’ll be surprised how easy they are to do..and we use the most unusual of ingredients too!
To begin with I took several chipboard dies and I also cut some dies using this Decorative Cog die then I used a couple of the Factory 42 collectable pack cogs and altered these too (yet left some of the gears and cogs as they came from the pack).
To make the rust effect you take a mix of three ‘rusty’ coloured acrylic paints..in this case I used Terracotta, Black and Raw Umber and I then took a, fairly stiffish, paintbrush and gently ‘dabbed’ the three different coloured paints over the die cuts ensuring a good, thick coverage. (You do not want to blend the three colours to make one colour, rather dab them individually until the dies are liberally covered.)
Next I took some mixed spice from my pantry (yes that’s right..mixed spice..that’s not some new colour from a well known designer!) or any ground spice you may have in your pantry. I can honestly say that this is unlikely to be acid free so don’t use the only copy you have of a precious photo..but it will smell nice!
Next sprinkle the spice over the wet paint and tap it with the wet paintbrush to adhere to the wet paint..and leave to dry. That’s it! A five minute technique that gives a wonderful effect that would fool most people until they actually touch it.
To continue with the plaque, I covered the plaque sides and moulded edges with the rust effect. I then took a sheet of Assembly Line Paper from the collection and adherred it with PVA glue and left to dry. Don’t worry if it bubbles, as it dries it will pull back tight. Alternatively, if you don’t want to wait for drying time you can use the Kaisercraft Glue Stick. When dry I then sanded the edges using the Sanding Block and inked them using the Vintage Ink Pad.
I then tore a section of corrugated card to fit the bottom right hand corner and inked the ridges with the same Kaisercraft Vintage Ink pad. I then arranged a selection of the cogs and gears from the collectables pack and used Kaisercraft chipboard letters to spell out the name I required. Of course the title is up to you but these chipboard letters are plentiful in the pack and once they have also been given the rust treatment they can be used for any name you choose!
TIP: do not stick down all the elements until you have ensured there is room for the title you want to use.
I also used some of my own die cuts and cut them to fit.
Once the bottom ‘layer’ was dried I added the gears on the top of the collectable dies and rusty cogs.
To finish I added the expression to the top left.
I hope you’ll agree that the tutorial is very easy to follow and the techniques of covering the plaque and using all the Factory 42 die cuts from the collectables is a fabulous effect..that would fool most people from a distance.